So we have to talk about the situation with Megan Thee Stallion and her record label 1501
Her label won’t allow her to release any new music. She explained that she approached them about some of the fine print on her contract that she didn’t notice until she started being managed by rock nation.
Carl Crawford, the co-founder of her label appears to have been blindsided by the news, as Megan Thee Stallion, allegedly did not make him aware of it before making a public announcement on social media.
She claims that, after she approached her label to renegotiate her contract, ex-major league baseball player Carl Crawford, recently stated that he discovered Meg Thee Stallion, on social media and he is responsible for developing her music her career to where it is now.
while Carl did discover Meg on Instagram
her situation was different from other artists like Nicki Minaj, where, for example, she was a relatively unknown talent at the time that she was discovered. Megan already had a bubbling career within the Houston music scene and was already gaining some attraction.
Megan had even caught the eye of QC that is responsible for bringing us acts such as The Amigos, little Yahti, City Girl and Stefan Don, so for him to make it sound like she was some unknown talent is kind of misleading.
Please note she is still signed to 1501 and is only being managed under the rock nation deal.
it seems that under her 1501 deal, she allegedly still owes them at least four more albums. So this is quite a mess.
Meg the stallion actually went into some detail about her record label drama on Instagram Live
Press play below and check out what she had to say.
The first thing I thought after hearing this is that artists really need to start taking way more of an interest in these contracts that they’re signing,
Let’s be real about this, record labels will rarely have your best interests at heart it’s always going to be about making as much money as possible and your best interests will come second to the money they can make from the artists.
However, I can understand how many artists fall into this trap as well, because many of them have been struggling for years, just hoping for someone to give them an opportunity in the industry.
Now, when a record label finally, shows interest in their talent and promises to put them on the map it’s understandable why they jump at the chance to
based on the experiences of so many other artists that have come before them
up and coming artists really need to wise up and start making sure that they go through those contracts with a fine-tooth comb before signing any contracts.
After watching Megan’s video clip it seems that she didn’t read the fine print which I suppose is understandable as she was excited about her future and finally felt like she had made it.
However, this is what a lot of these record labels feed off especially when it’s a new up and coming artist who has a little bit of a buzz behind them.
However, Megan’s record label drama proves how certain decisions taken lightly can affect their ability to make and release music later on.
It will be interesting to see how this plays out and I hope they can come to a decision that benefits everyone.
At the end of the day, business is business, and once you sign a contract, you can’t just get up and decide tomorrow that you want to do as you please.
Update: it seems that there’s a light at the end of the tunnel
Megan Thee Stallion has apparently sued record label 1501 and is now able to record new music.
She filed a lawsuit against her record label and was awarded a restraining order by a judge in Harris County Texas, which prevents her record label from blocking the music she was planning to release.
Meghan exposed the terms of her contract and she claims that 1501 gets 60 % of her recording income and the remaining 40 % goes to her, however, her 40% has to also pay the engineers, mixers and featured artists who work on her songs.
Also, apparently, the contract stated that all money from Megan’s touring and live performances are to be paid directly to 1501.
She, also, claims that Carl Crawford has allegedly been using his relationship with rap-a-lot Records founder J. Prince to intimidate people within the music industry.
Megan, allegedly thinks that J Prince was responsible for the online smear campaign against her, which includes the recent story about her getting arrested five years ago.
In addition to all of this, she says that she only received a $ 10,000 advance in exchange for signing the contract, which is why she had originally wanted to renegotiate the terms she’s suing Carl and 1501 certified entertainment for at least 1 million dollars in damages.
The temporary restraining order also prevents the label from attacking or abusing her on social media.
Anyway, thanks for reading and please leave your thoughts in the comments section.